June 22, 2009

Happy Father's Day!



It's so weird when you realize that your parents are people - you know, with lives of their own. They had a whole life that started long before you were born and it's exciting to hear about that different time as you get older. For example, my dad recently told me that he and my mom only dated for a few months before he asked her to marry him. They were dating for just over a year when they wed (no wonder it didn't work out). It's so funny because nowadays that just isn't something people do. I can't even imagine wanting that for myself, so it's so strange to her about the bad decisions my parents made since they have spent most of my life raising me to NOT make bad decisions.

Anyway, this is my dad when he was... hmm... probably 34 or 35? I think it was taken up at my mom's family house in Canada. Most likely in 1983 or 1984. Not much has changed except for maybe his waist line and the sturdiness of his joints. I think this is where I begin to watch him age, which will be a whole new chapter in his life and in our relationship as father and daughter.

Hurray for dads!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's so funny because nowadays that just isn't something people do.

... still happens. Maybe it's just more noteworthy now, less par for the course.