June 11, 2009

Jenny Lewis

For those who don't know me very well, I LOVE Jenny Lewis. LOVE. She is the reason I was a red head for nearly two years. Well, that's not entirely true. My mom was also a red head when she was younger and I did it because of her too, but it was definitely Ms. Lewis who finalized my decision.

Some people might remember her from The Wizard and Troop Beverly Hills, but she is most known for being the lead singer of Rilo Kiley and most recently for her solo career.

Lately I have admired her not just for her music and her voice, which just seems to seamlessly and effortlessly come out of her mouth, but for her pension for hats, high waisted jeans and cowboy boots. Plus she is a petite gal, which I relate too!

On her last solo tour with the Watson Twins she had this whole country/Las Vegas glamour thing going on with cowboy boots, sequined mini dresses and choreographed dancing.




Her next tour with Rilo Kiley was more Las Vegas and the trashy glam that goes along with the gambling culture. Her stage outfits were tuxedo themed with short shorts, rompers and she was almost always in something that sparkled. She looked liked a cocktail waitresses from Sinatra era movies.




For her second record she has toned it down and I feel like this is more her than ever before. Many of the songs on Acid Tongue are far more personal and the way she dresses reflects that. She has this boho California thing going on mixed with 70's classic rock. Full denim jump suits with big, beaded, chunky jewelry. I love it.






Listen to some songs from her World Cafe performance on NPR. It will significantly improve your day.

photos from last.fm, autmn de wilde, flickr, photobucket, and brooklyn vegan.

No comments: