March 13, 2012

Dress Hunt

Photos by Greg

Scarf: Made by my mom
Coat: Urban
Blouse: Vintage Oscar de la Renta (thirfted for $4!)
Striped shirt: Dalaga
Necklace: In god We Trust
Jeans: J Brand Bardot via Beacon's Closet
Socks: Urban
Shoes: Dalaga

This is a long one so bear with me.

Greg and I did a lot of running around this weekend, specifically to try and find me a dress to wear to his mom's wedding. We headed over to the Anthro in Chelsea Market after Greg got a quick hair cut because I had my sights set on this one. You may be able to see this in the product photos, but the bodice is a bit long/awkward. I figured if it was weird I could just get it altered.

So we go in, the dress is nowhere to be seen so I ask a sales associate if they still have it in backstock. Luckily they do so she checks to see if they have my size. Of course they don't so she kindly checks the inventory of some other stores and calls the ones who have it. The 5th Ave. store is closest so I'm stoked that all hope isn't lost. Well, she finally gets someone on the phone and they tell her that they don't have it after all. ARG!

I thanked her and we pressed on towards 5th Ave. anyway to explore other options. Well, after looking at J.Crew, H&M, Zara and Madewell I started to feel defeated not to mention bloated and self conscious. We went into the Anthro just in case, and lo and behold someone was able to find the dress in my size and they also had it in larger sizes in the event it didn't fit! Clearly the person on the phone did not look hard enough.

I try it on and it's tiny. Luckily the very helpful lady who pulled the dress for me said there were larger sizes so I kindly ask the fitting room staff to grab me the next size up. She comes back to tell me they don't have it. Huh?? The woman who gave me this dress just told me there were other sizes. As someone who has worked in retail for many years, I have zero patience for laziness and at this point I'm furious and annoyed by the entire run around that I decide to get dressed and go back to the original girl who grabbed the dress. By some magic (or by using her eyes), she found the dress the fitting room staff could not locate.

OY VEY.

Well, I like the dress, but I am torn on the price and it's getting down to the wire so I don't even know if the tailor can fix it in time, so I start to get upset again. After hours of running from neighborhood to neighborhood, store to store to store, I decided to put the darn thing on hold and ended up crying on the street.

Maybe I was just hungry and tired, or maybe it combined with the fact that after this Texas trip Greg is moving to New Hampshire until Novemeber. Yes, you read correctly. Greg got a rad job with the Obama reelection campaign in NH and is moving there for at least 7 months starting immediately after our road trip. I think the real reason I got upset is that everything feels so rushed right now and it feels like we're running out of time to be together.

I know that's not actually true - he won't be far and we are going to visit each other, but I'm still going to miss him like crazy. It's going to suck for a while, but the end result will be worth it.

Anyway, I ended up getting this Steven Alan dress in this print from the outpost store on the Upper West Side (sales!). Anthro can suck it.






No comments: