March 30, 2012


Photos by me

Well, I'm back from Texas and in NYC safe and sound. The wedding was lovely, the food was delicious, the rodeo was ridiculous, the terrain was dry and the sky was big.

If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram, you may have caught on that the end of our trip was nothing less than a disaster. Here is a list of terrible things that happened:

- Some kind of bug bit my arm in Big Bend which caused it to swell up to the size of grapefruit. It only got worse after our first full day there, so we decided to head back on Friday instead of Saturday. It was a real bummer because we ended up only having onefull day in the park and there is just so much to see and do.

- Greg's flight had not been properly booked online and not only did he not have a ticket home, but the flight was sold out.

- I booked my flight home for April 1 not March 25. Changing my flight was going to cost $400 and buying a new ticket was going to be $800. On top of all this was the fact that Greg was supposed to start his new job in NH on Monday morning.

- Booked new flights only to find out that we could drive Greg's mom's car to NH instead of having it shipped.

- Drove 130 miles in said car when it started to shake and then the tire tread flew off ripping the plastic siding, tire cover and bumper off with it.

- Stayed in Lake Charles, LA overnight, woke up early to go to the Honda dealership only to learn that all the tires have dry rot and need to be replaced.

- Go to Firestone and wait 2 hours for the tires to get changed.

After two wasted travel days we made it to Birmingham, Alabama and then on Tuesday drove 18 hours to New York. Needless to say, it was an incredibly shitty way to end our vacation.

The only good thing about all of this was being together. Greg and I are a great team and despite all the madness and stress, we figured it all out and pushed through. Not many people can say they drove for 18 hours straight with one other person and didn't want to kill each other at the end.

And so begins Greg's 7 month stint in NH and my 7 month experiment with living alone. Here's hoping it goes better than our trip home from Texas.

No comments: